Museums and Galleries
Simpsons is Australia’s leading practice in museum and gallery law. We act for local, state and federal museums and galleries, and for professional and industry associations.
Our expertise includes:
- establishing appropriate legal structures
- governance responsibilities and ethical issues
- establishing title to and authenticity of objects
- acquiring objects
- donations, gifts and bequests
- deaccessioning and disposal
- loans and touring
- statutory protection of cultural material
- licensing, merchandising and sponsorship
- the taxation incentives for the arts scheme
- public liability insurance
Shane Simpson wrote the only Australian book on the subject: “Museums and Galleries: a Legal Guide”, commissioned by the Museums Association. Shane has recently completed a new book on museum law and practice in Australia, “Collections Law” 2009.